Statistics Canada is committed to serving its clients in a prompt, reliable, courteous, and fair manner. To this end, we make the following commitment.
Making information available is an important part of our business. Accordingly, Statistics Canada will:
- communicate in the official language of the client's choice;
- provide service during regular business hours, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in all Canadian time zones, through the National Contact Centre 1-800 toll-free service and e-mail address;
- provide information, upon request, in multiple formats such as audio, braille, E-text and large print to accommodate persons with disabilities.
Depending on the nature of the enquiry, response times will vary. To ensure prompt service, Statistics Canada will:
- return a client's phone call within 1 business day of receipt;
- acknowledge receipt or answer an e-mail within 2 business days and a letter received by mail or fax within 5 business days of receipt;
- fill basic information requests and orders for readily available products within 2 business days of receipt;
- fill requests for custom products or services on a contractual basis within a mutually agreed-upon time;
- advise clients of any change in delivery time, and clearly explain the reason for the change.
Statistics Canada provides information of broad interest to the public free of charge via its website and libraries throughout Canada.
Statistics Canada recovers the costs of providing specialized products and services to various groups and individuals. For these products and services, we will:
- always inform clients of the cost of the product, or service prior to undertaking the work;
- advise the client immediately of any change in cost, and explain the reason.
Fees are based on factors such as complexity of the request, time required to conduct the work, technology requirements, and data transmission cost.
Meeting clients' needs
To meet the information needs of clients, Statistics Canada will:
- consult with the client to fully understand their needs;
- advise the client immediately in the event of differences between the request and the product to be delivered, and explain the reason;
- provide a solution free of charge if the product delivered does not conform to the client's request, and this is due to our misunderstanding.
If you, as a client, have reason to believe that these standards have not been adhered to in your dealings with Statistics Canada, you are encouraged to contact:
Communications and Information Services Branch
100 Tunney's Pasture Driveway
R.H. Coats Building, 10A
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org attention DG Communications and Information Services Branch
We will follow up with clients to investigate complaints within 3 business days of receipt.