This notice applies to Statistics Canada clients who use our data, products or services, visit our website, or contact us for information. It does NOT apply to people, organizations, institutions or businesses who respond to our surveys; their information is protected by the Statistics Act. See also: When you give information in a Statistics Canada survey.
Your right to privacy and security is fundamental
We are fully committed to protecting the confidentiality of the information provided by our clients. This information will be used only to support your client relationship with Statistics Canada. The following explains how practices at Statistics Canada protect your privacy and your personal information.
You have a choice about how your personal information will be used. Statistics Canada is committed to helping you maintain control over which personal information you provide to us. You will be given the opportunity to inform Statistics Canada if you prefer not to receive promotional materials. You are entitled to confirm that information held about you is correct or ask to be removed from our client file at any time.
Statistics Canada’s principles for client information privacy
Statistics Canada must ensure that client information, whether received online, by telephone, fax or mail, or by personal contact, is fully protected as required under the federal Privacy Act. The following are the principles developed by Statistics Canada to protect your privacy and the confidentiality of your personal information.
- Statistics Canada will not sell, distribute, trade or transfer client information to other government departments, businesses, institutions, organizations or individuals outside the Agency for commercial or any other purposes, unless required by law.
- When you make a purchase from Statistics Canada, only the information required to complete your transaction will be requested.
- No personal information is gathered without your knowledge.
Privacy notices are found on all our order forms, invoices and on our website.
Why is information collected?
Statistics Canada requires information:
- to complete your sales transaction, deliver products or services to you, announce product updates and administer your account; and
- to offer you products and services that we think you would like to hear about.
Contact us, if you wish to:
- obtain a copy of your contact information;
- change your contact information;
- have your name removed from our client file for promotional purposes; and
- ask questions or make comments about this privacy statement.
If you are not satisfied that we have adequately responded to your privacy concerns, you may wish to contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner at 1-800-282-1376 or www.privcom.gc.ca.
Ordering products and services online
You can order products and services via our website. When you do this, you are usually required to provide contact information, such as your name and address, and financial information such as a credit card number.
We use contact information only to support your client relationship with us. In other words, we use it for invoicing purposes or informing you about new products. If you do not wish to be contacted for promotional purposes, please contact us.
Statistics Canada stores your client information for seven years and then destroys it. While the information is in Statistics Canada's keeping, it is completely confidential. Statistics Canada will not sell, distribute, trade or transfer client information to other government departments, businesses, institutions, organizations or individuals outside Statistics Canada for commercial or any other purposes, unless required by law.
For more information on Statistics Canada's commitment to respecting the privacy of individuals—whether you are respondents to one of our surveys, clients who are purchasing a product or service or users of our website—view our Privacy notice.